Laura A. Kaster, Esq.
Serving as a neutral, Laura A. Kaster brings with her over 30 years of experience with arbitration, mediation and settlement negotiation in a wide variety of complex commercial disputes. Before devoting herself full-time to dispute resolution, she served as chief litigation counsel for AT&T Corporation for nearly a decade, where she was responsible for matters, including disputes involving multimillions of dollars, involving complex supplier, shareholder actions, outsourcing, and major customer disputes, and international arbitrations. Before that, she was a partner at Jenner & Block, where she worked for over twenty years handling a wide variety of complex disputes. Her litigation background includes special expertise in intellectual property. She was involved in seminal patent and trademark cases and a wide variety of telecom disputes of all kinds, licensing, environmental issues, taxes, fee litigations and sanctions, closely held companies and estates. As an arbitrator or mediator, Laura Kaster listens and brings to each unique conflict over 30 years of experience with complex commercial disputes of all kinds.
- Mediator at Laura A. Kaster LLC (2006-Present)
- Adjunct Professor at Seton Hall Law School
- Chief Litigation Counsel for AT&T Corporation (1997-2006)
- Associate and Partner at Jenner & Block (1975-1997)
- Clerk to Chief Judge Frank M. Coffin (1973-1975)
- Admitted to the Bar of Massachusetts (1973), Illinois (1975), New Jersey (2005), New York (2006).
- Admitted to practice in the U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois (1975); the United States Supreme Court; and the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and for the First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth, Seventh, and Tenth Circuits.
- Chair of the NJSBA, Dispute Resolution Section (2011-2013)
- Vice President and co-director of ADR programming of the Judge Marie Garibaldi Inn of Court
- Co-Editor in Chief of Dispute Resolution Lawyer
- Member of the Executive Committee and Editor of the Journal of the NYSBA Dispute Resolution Section
- Member of the American Bar Association Dispute Resolution Section
- Member of the Women In Dispute Resolution committee of the Section
- Board of the Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights
- Member of the Diversity Task Force of CPR.
- J.D. at Boston University, magna cum laude (1973)
- B.A. in political science at Tufts University (1970)
- Judge at the ICC Mediation Competition in Paris 2012.
- Melville M. Bigelow Award in 1973 “for the greatest promise as a teacher and scholar in the law”.
- “Who’s Who in America” (2007-2013)
- “Who’s Who of American Women” (2001-2013)
- Life Fellow of the American Bar Foundation
- Why Bringing Diversity to ADR is a Necessity (ACC Docket, October 2013)
- NYSBA Annual Dispute Resolution Meeting (2012, 2013)
- The Annual ABA Dispute Resolution Meeting (2010-2013)
- The New Jersey State Bar Annual meeting (2009, 2010, 2012, 2013)
- CCA Annual Meeting (2012)
- The Garibaldi Inn of Court (2012)
- PLI (2011, 2012)
- NJAPM (2011, 2012)
- The New Jersey State Bar ADR Day (2011, 2012)
“Ongoing disputes undermine business, sap executive and personnel energy and sometimes threaten partner or customer relations. Nothing is more rewarding to me than helping parties to come to a solution better for each of them than litigation, ideally in mediation, or efficiently in arbitration.”
T 800.616.1202 x751
Michele T. Pfeiffer