Deborah Masucci is an expert in the subject of ADR with over 30 years experience in promoting and effectively using ADR as an educator, corporate user, ADR Provider, and administrator. Before becoming a full-time neutral, she founded the Office of Dispute Resolution at American International Group’s (AIG) where she was responsible for the strategic use of alternative dispute resolution and increasing the effective methods of appropriate dispute resolution. She also led the rollout of the Company’s Employment Dispute Resolution Program Previously, she served in senior capacities with JAMS, and National Association of Securities Dealer (now FINRA). Employing the skills she gained as a senior business executive, she strategically and effectively employs mediation and arbitration to help parties reach resolution.
- Distinguished Mediator & Arbitrator with the Agency for Dispute Resolution (2014-Present).
- Mediator & Arbitrator at Masucci Dispute Management and Resolution Services (2013-Present)
- Head of the Dispute Resolution Program at American International Group, Inc. (AIG) (New York, New York) (2003-2012)
- Head of the AIG Employment Dispute Resolution Program (New York, New York) (2013)
- Vice President of East Central Region at JAMS (New York, New York) (1999-2003)
- Vice President and Director of Dispute Resolution Department at the National Association of Securities Dealer (presently FINRA) (New York, New York) (1983-1999)
- Arbitration Coordinator at the National Association of Securities Dealer (presently FINRA) (New York, New York) (1981-1983)
- Adjunct Professor at Brooklyn Law School Securities and Market Regulation Seminar (Brooklyn, New York) (1998-2003)
- Adjunct Professor of Law at Brooklyn Law School and Director of the Securities Arbitration Clinic (Brooklyn, New York) (2003-2004)
- Adjunct Professor of Law at New York Law School in Mediation Clinic (New York, New York) (2004)
- Adjunct Professor of Law at Fordham Law School co teaching Mediation International and Comparative Perspectives (Spring 2015)
- Legal and ADR Associations - Chair of Board of Directors of International Mediation Institute; Co Chair of the Continuing Legal Education Committee for the New York State Bar Association’s Section for Dispute Resolution; Co Chair of the ADR Committee for the Claims and Litigation Management Alliance; Co Chair of the American Bar Association Dispute Resolution Section’s Diversity Committee. ICC ADR Rules Consultative Task Force Served on New York State Bar Association’s Task Force on the Future of the Legal Profession. Former Chair of the American Bar Association’s Dispute Resolution Section, Former Member of the Executive Committee for the New York City Bar Association Served on the American Bar Association Dispute Resolution Section’s Diversity Committee; Established American Bar Association Dispute Resolution Section’s Women in Dispute Resolution Task Force
- Arbitrator Associations - Member of the International Arbitration Club in New York, Arbitrator for Attorney-Client Fee Dispute Resolution Program Pursuant to Part 137 of Chief Administrator, Office of Court Administration, New York State Former Chair of the Arbitration Committee for the New York City Bar Association; Former member of the Arbitration Commission for the International Institute for Dispute Prevention and Resolution
- Mediator Associations - Eastern District of New York Storm Sandy panel
- Publication Affiliations - Board of Editors for the Securities Arbitration Commentator Journal of Investment Compliance, and Specialty Board of the Journal of American Law for Claims and Litigation Management Alliance.
- J.D. at New York Law School (1980)
- B.A. in Economics at Manhattanville College (1973)
- ADR Achievement Award, Association for Conflict Resolution, Greater New York Chapter (2011)
- The Corporate ADR Award conferred to AIG by the Dispute Resolution Services (2005)
- The Dismal State of Diversity: Mapping a Chart for Change American Bar Association Section of Dispute Resolution, Co Author, Dispute Resolution Magazine, Fall 2014.
- The urgent need for data: Are the needs of users and the dispute resolution market misaligned?
- Harvesting Data to Shape the Future of International Dispute Resolution
- “20 Questions every Corporate General Counsel or Head of Litigation might very well ask”
Recent Speaking Engagements
- January 2015 - Drafting Arbitration Clauses That Work, CLE Presentation at Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld, LLP, New York Office
- January 2015 - And Justice for All? – Why mediation works when negotiation fails, New York State Bar Association, Annual Meeting, New York, NY
- December 2014 - An Expedited Way to Resolve Coverage Disputes: The Use of Mandatory ADR Clauses, Claims and Litigation Management Alliance Insurance and Bad Faith Conference, New York, NY
- October 2014 - Evidence on the business case for how ADR and mediation delivers business results for Insurers and Claimants, Sponsored by Trust Mediation, London, England
- October 2014 - Shaping the Future for International Dispute Resolution, IMI Mediation, London, England
- October 2014 - Bridging the Cultural Divide in Mediation, Winning With ADR- NYSBA Dispute Resolution Section Fall Meeting, Conference Co Chair and Moderator, New York Bar Association
- October 2014 - The Absolute Mediator: Breaking up is never easy, Legal Week Global Corporate Counsel Forum Moderator, New York, NY
- September 2014 - Insurance Coverage Claims and Disputes, New Jersey Construction Claims Conference Co-Panelist, Edison, New Jersey
- May 2014 - Why Mediate? Mediation’s Relevance to Business Today, ICC, Moderator, New York, New York
- May 2014 - Resolving Cross-Border Disputes in an Uncertain World, New York Law School, New York, New York
- May 2014 - Insurance Coverage Issues and Underlying Claims: Don’t be Afraid to Mediate, New Jersey Bar Association, Co-Panelist, Atlantic City, New Jersey
- April 2014 - Planned Early Dispute Resolution: Can We Make It the New Normal, American Bar Association, Co-Panelist, Miami, Florida
“I strive to work with parties to secure the best result efficiently and economically. Mediation and arbitration are vehicles to resolving disputes. My experience as an advocate, administrator and now neutral advantage parties in reaching resolution.”
T 800.616.1202 x725
Michele T. Pfeiffer